Copeville Station circa 1880
The unincorporated community of Copeville lies between Lavon and Farmersville on State Hwy 78. Copeville was organized by Kentucky native John Miles Cope. He settled in Collin County in 1848 with his parents and brother on land in the Willis Roberts and Hezekiah Walters Survey. The area was originally known as Black Spot. In 1878, Cope became the town’s first postmaster. By 1885, the community had a church, a bank, a cotton gin, a sawmill, a flour mill, a saloon and a general store that also housed a doctor’s office. Thomas King had platted the original town site in 1877. But in 1886, the community moved one mile northeast to be next to the New Gulf, Colorado, and Santa Fe Railroad tracks. Local merchant James E. Jones, who gave the railroad land for its right-of-way and depot, operated the town’s first general store at the new site. Copeville became the shipping point for area farm products and Bois D’arc timber, which is valued for its density and toughness.
The Karo School, located at the original town site, started in 1895. Although the community never incorporated, by the early 20th Century, it had grown to about 300 residents. The Copeville School operated from 1913 into the 1940s. In 1921, Copeville became one of the country’s first towns to have a female postmaster. Her name was Elizabeth Pearce. In the early twentieth century, two local congregations, the First Methodist Church of Copeville and the First Baptist Church of Copeville (organized as the Mount Pleasant Baptist church in 1857) relocated to the town. In that era, the town’s businesses included the Craft Hotel, a drugstore, a pickle factory and several general stores. Just after World War II, Copeville had 150 residents, two churches, five businesses and a school. Copeville is growing today and has its own water supply. It is served by the Community Independent School District and the Nevada and Josephine Fire Districts.